I went to The Container Store, Micheals, TJmax and of course Homedepot. I tried to find something cheap and easy to get it, and solid materials. I found to some useful boxes or cases for next projects. But I bought neither them for this project.
I wanted to use the most of the materials for the enclosure from junk shop at ITP. I picked up a router because I liked the size and the connectors for the A-B cable, DC, Reset switch etc that were similar to Arduino input connectors.
I disassembled it to 3 pieces; top, middle, bottom parts, then I detached a few components(LEDs, potentiometer, small red button) from the PCBs from the junkshop.
– Middle / Bottom parts
And I got a piece of wood and cut it for the cover. (Grey piece is a Top part.) At first, I cut the wood same shape as the top part. But the thickness was too different with other parts. I cut it again later.
The problem started here… spray painting…
I hung the pieces and sprayed the middle and bottom parts. My first mistake was that I did not shake it enough, so the surface was not even.
And the second mistake was overspray them. I thought over spray is better than the rough surface. (When I painted once at first, the surface was too bumpy. hmmm) Anyway, I sprayed them too much.
And I really want to use the wood stain paint. So I bought them and tested a few wood pieces. But the color was too dark that I thought. After all, I did not apply for my enclosure wood. But I painted my plant pot that I made it before. I will try to apply a wax finish.
Then I attached the top part and a wood piece with glue.
And this router had very tiny cute Leds in front. I want to use them for example Arduino signal checking or indicator. I used pins so that I can use them connecters.
And I drilled for Arduino and a mini breadboard to be fixed on the bottom part.
Overspray + grasp firmly + not dry == mess…
I thought 1 hour was enough to completely dry. But it was not. I painted too thick. It had to need more time for drying. (I want to know I can make it even surface. )
Anyway, I added a potentiometer, and for an Arduino DC jack, I drilled to make a hole.
There are lights! I just turned on green LEDs.
AndI wanted to do a wax finish for my wood pieces. But I could not do my stained wood pieces because they did not dry and I had to wait for it would completely dry at least 1 week. With Ben’s help, I could apply a wax finish for my wooden top piece. (remind : they are 3 steps, 3diffrent wax, cannot go back to the previous steps. not dried stain wood can ruin the wax brushes. Before applying it, make sure sanding completely finished.)
Shiny smooth wood!
I decided to call this Arduino Bento!
It was the first time that I used ready made item to transform. Even though painting was a little bit difficult, but I also could use existed screws, a lid, and LEDs etc. My goal was that it did not seem to be electronics or digital thing. Sometimes I have to put my Arduino on my table or shelves in my room. So I choose white color and attached wood piece. Thankfully, this router had nice structures I can open it both ways (top, bottom). I think I am going to use it often!